Saturday, November 22, 2008

I Fly Like Paper, Get High Like Planes

My favorite thing about plane flights is the way that the overhead mini-lights, tiny windows, roaring engines, and chairs that lean back about 2.3 cm send your brain into a stupor that tells you one thing alone- do NOT use this time wisely. Your go-getter self doesn't stand a chance against those blasted tiny windows. Damn those tiny windows.

How many times have you told yourself you're finally going to have time to finish that novel or write a letter to a missionary, only to find yourself staring out the window for hours? Well, tonight, with about 500 pressing deadlines on the horizon, I decided to spend my time on the most pressing of them all: deciding my favorite 10 songs ever. After several drafts and lots of eraser marks, here is my list:

My Top Ten Favorite Songs*:
1. Man in the Mirror- Michael Jackson
2. Wheel- John Mayer
3. When I Go Down- Relient K
4. I'll Make Love to You- Boyz II Men
5. Crush- David Archuleta
6. Trick of the Tale- Genesis
7. Sea Breeze- Tyrone Wells
8. Fire and Rain- James Taylor
9. On Your Porch- The Format
10. You'll be in my Heart- Phil Collins

*With a special apology to Beyonce as well as the other members of Destiny's Child, Justin Timberlake and Nsync, and Rascal Flatts, who have all made a significant impact on my music-listening life but didn't have a specific song that could make the "Top 10 Songs" cut. Also a note to Bubba Sparxxx, who has kept me in the middle of dance circles with Ms. New Booty for nearly a decade: Although it didn't make the cut, this song has earned me the respect of many party-goers, so I thank you.

4 Comments {CLICK HERE TO COMMENT}:

Lauren Kay said...

Hahaha! I ALWAYS think I'm going to be productive on the plane too! Then I end up reading the shopping magazine and find gadgets I realize I need but can't afford. I think you used your time very wisely. I think I'll use my plane time Monday to decide my favorite books...

Jimmy Pardi said...

I love that a david archuleta song is one of your top ten favorite songs!

C-Rod said...

As a representative of the hip hop nation we are appalled at your top ten list. While there are some good nay great songs on that list that might even possibly make some of our own list, we feel as though we have made a more significant impact on your life. We would appreciate it if you would take a little more thought into your declarative statements. We love you and wish you the best.
p.s MJ doesn't count he's whiter than cool whip. RIP black michael.
Thank you

Anonymous said...

Wow, trick of the tail huh? A little bid of your dad shining through!